Subject: Re: bug#25322: Acknowledgement ([AUCTeX-devel] preview-latex coding system problem with Japanese LaTeX)

From: Ikumi Keita <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 22:32:16 +0900

Hi all,

I worked on to resolve the remaining problems with respect to the
incompatibility between preview-latex and Japanese LaTeX, and think that
I managed to sort out them.  Please take a look at the attached patch.

My basic plan, in addtion to the part described before in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2016-09/msg00101.html
, is
(1) Implement in tex-buf.el a function to adjust the process coding
    system for normal tex documents as well as Japanese tex documents
    and make it the new default value for
    `TeX-after-start-process-function', which was previously used only
    for Japanese TeX by tex-jp.el.  With this change, all tex processes
    invoked within AUCTeX are given suitable coding systems.
(2) Make preview-latex to examine the coding system set in (1), and
    use it to decode later if it decides not to decode during receiving
    outputs and to store them as byte sequence in order to work around
    xemacs bug.  To achieve this, the patch changes the meaning of the
    variable `preview-coding-system'.  Its value used to be the "new"
    coding system, which is potentially `raw-text' preserving the byte
    sequence, but it's now the "original" coding system assigned to the
    process, which decodes the outputs properly.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly welcome.

> -- 
> 25322: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25322
> GNU Bug Tracking System
> Contact [email-masked] with problems