Subject: Re: bug#25309: 11.89.8; multi-level script fontification stacks incorrectly

From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2017 11:25:40 +0100

Uwe Brauer <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Uwe,

>     > Given that it doesn't work and produces even wrong results, I removed
>     > the complete feature, i.e., the values multi-level and invisible.  I
>     > don't see how it could be made working without parsing the actual math
>     > expressions and incrementally computing the right `raise' values.
>
> What? Do I understand correctly you removed the feature that $a^b$ is
> displayed correctly (that is b raised ^ invisible), because it does
> not work for the (rare) case of nested expressions like $a^b^c$?

Yes, exactly.

> Please don't. The invisible feature is very nice and as I said the
> case $a^b^c$ is very rare.

Sorry, but I think there's no value in a feature which only works in the
simplest cases and might be wrong otherwise.  Have a look at Gennady's
screenshots.  There are examples where its completely confusing with
`multi-level' and would definitely make you read something else than
what has been written with `invisible'.

Bye,
Tassilo