Subject: Re: bug#25309: 11.89.8; multi-level script fontification stacks incorrectly

From: Gennady Uraltsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 15:53:20 +0300

Hello Everyone,

I tried installing auctex thorough elpa in emacs 24.3.1 . It was
difficult as it gave errors quite often, however after trying again
several times I managed to do it.

The problem is still there.

Some care should be taken! After customizing the variable
font-latex-fontify-script to value multi-level one should be careful to
restart fontification (or emacs proper). Otherwise the changes doesn't
manifest itself.

Cheers,

Gennady

P.S. Attached screenshot

On 01/01/17 12:36, Tassilo Horn wrote:
> Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> Hi Gennady, Uwe & Mosè,
> 
> [CC'ing Uwe because I know he uses this feature.]
> 
>>> The multi-level fontification was introduced by
>>> Tassilo Horn with commit 513490f on 2015-09-03.
>>
>> Wow, I didn't even remember such change!  My memory is failing :-(
>>
>> Tassilo, when/if you have time (I don't want to break your holidays
>> ;-), could you please give a look at this?
> 
> I just had a look and Gennady is correct in that there is an issue here
> although what I get is a bit different from his observations.
> 
> With `font-latex-fontify-script' set to 'multi-level or 'invisible, what
> I expect in $a^b^c$ is that the b is raised above a and a bit smaller,
> and c is raised above b and again a bit smaller.  What I actually see is
> that b is raised above a and a bit smaller but c is raised to the very
> same height as b and has b's size.
> 
> Sadly, I have no clue why that's the case.  The code worked as intended
> when I wrote it and there haven't been any changes to it AFAICS.  Maybe
> something is Emacs changed?  I've tried Emacs 25.1 and master with the
> same results.
> 
> Does anyone of you have an older Emacs copy (22.x, 23.x, 24.x) installed
> and can check what the results are with that?
> 
> Bye,
> Tassilo
>