Subject: Re: bug#25309: 11.89.8; multi-level script fontification stacks incorrectly

From: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 19:37:00 +0100

Hi Jean-François,

2017-01-12 8:38 GMT+01:00 jfbu <[email-masked]>:
> Hi All,
>
> in the attached screenshot with newly released 11.90, one sees
> a feature which I find a bit disturbing: all the subscripts look
> like they have a leading minus sign, where in fact it is the underscore
> character.
>
> Have you discussed that in the thread already ?
> (I read it back then but did not follow all details)
>
> I suppose this is expected result, and as my memory reboots
> on each 24h cycle, it may even have nothing to do with this thread
> and was like this for ages, but I come asking nevertheless.
>
> The foo^{\psi_n} is ok but all foo_{bar} get the underscore aligned
> with exact middle of brace which creates (from a distance and with an
> ageing user) this impression about minus signs everywhere.

Yes, the discussion about this issue started with this message:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25309#127  Indeed the
change of the face of caret and underscore was meant to address this
issue.

In any case I strongly suggest you to set
`TeX-electric-sub-and-superscript' to t, I always find it very useful
also for single character script (in that case braces are redundant,
of course, but they improve readability, IMHO).

Bye,
Mosè