Subject: bug#2530: 23/NS: redraws according to mouse-face are slow

From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 23:37:22 -0400

On May 4, 2009, at 9:53 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:

> I see.  It seems ns_draw_glyph_string is a lot more expensive that
> x_draw_glyph_string.  The show_mouse_face function assumes that the
> *_draw_glyph_string operation is relatively cheap, which is why it's
> called inside a loop.
>
> My guess is that the problem lies in the calls to ns_focus and
> ns_unfocus in ns_draw_glyph_string.

Right - but we still need them, at least for clipping.
That said, because of the clipping, calls to ns_focus may be more  
expensive than desirable. We have multiple calls to  
ns_draw_glyph_string, often more than one for each row, but we only  
need one clipping for the whole frame.  So, ideally we'd call ns_focus  
outside the loops that call ns_draw_glyph_string, but the architecture  
won't allow that.

>> If we wrap the code in show_mouse_face in NS[Dis|En]ableScreen, the
>> problem goes away for me (and it's not just delayed).  Same for the
>> header-line/overlay issues I reported in #2530.
>
> If possible, we should minimize the amount of platform-dependent code
> inside xdisp.c.  Could you experiment with putting these calls  
> somewhere
> in nsterm.m, say surrounding the calls to note_mouse_highlight?
>
> Also, could it be ns_update_begin and ns_update_end that you want to
> call, instead of NSDisableScreen and NSEnableScreen?

Yes, sure, this variant works well, and it takes care of the ugly  
flicker as well.
(However, when moving the mouse over a piece of text with (common)  
mouse-face property, we shouldn't need to redraw in the first place,  
and that should be addressed at some point, perhaps after 23.1.)

http://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-emacs/commit/9e98aaff17dd24ffa45743163df553938815498f

There are further places where we need it, e.g. when scrolling.  Also,  
scrolling with the mouse wheel doesn't always work when the mouse is  
over a highlighted (mouse-faced) piece of text.  Will look into this  
again.