Subject: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:40:55 +0100

Hi,

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> IMHO Guix should mimic what Debian is doing in this particular case.
>> Meaning having desktop packages that contain a “full” desktop with
>> default applications for common usages.
>>
>> This would consist in adding ‘libreoffice’ and replacing ‘epiphany’ with
>> ‘icecat’ in the ‘gnome’ package.  Additionally a ‘gnome-core’ package
>> (or ‘gnome-minimal’ which seems to be the name convention chosen by
>> Guix) could be created with the minimal set of packages required to have
>> a working GNOME desktop, for OCD people that don't like having unused
>> packages installed.
>
> Hmm, OK.  Do you think it’s too much to ask, given the current audience
> (tinkerers), to add those packages to their config, or to install them
> with “guix package -i”?

Definitely not, it is even better for tinkerers to not have those
“bloated” bundles/meta-packages full of defaults they don't like.  :-)

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37