Subject: Re: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 14:57:09 +0100

Hi Konrad,

Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Hmm, OK.  Do you think it’s too much to ask, given the current audience
>> (tinkerers), to add those packages to their config, or to install them
>> with “guix package -i”?
>>
>> Admittedly this is a very subjective issue.
>
> How about organizing Guix in a layered way, with the core distribution
> containing narrow-purpose packages (mostly one piece of software), and
> another layer (in a distinct module, perhaps with a distinct naming
> convention) containing collections of software that works well
> together or is useful for a specific application domain? I see other
> use cases than just desktop stuff.

In GuixSD, that’s more or less what happens with ‘gnome-service-type’
and ‘xfce-service-type’, for example.  (I’m not sure how that could work
at the Guix level, nor whether this is necessary.)

Ludo’.