Subject: Re: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 12:34:17 +0100

Hi,

> Hmm, OK.  Do you think it’s too much to ask, given the current audience
> (tinkerers), to add those packages to their config, or to install them
> with “guix package -i”?
> 
> Admittedly this is a very subjective issue.

How about organizing Guix in a layered way, with the core distribution 
containing narrow-purpose packages (mostly one piece of software), and 
another layer (in a distinct module, perhaps with a distinct naming 
convention) containing collections of software that works well together 
or is useful for a specific application domain? I see other use cases 
than just desktop stuff.

The main rationale for distinct layers is that assembling software at 
different levels requires different competences and different ways of 
documenting the assemblies. In the long run, I'd expect different people 
to be in charge of each layer.

Konrad.