Subject: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:31:57 +0100

Hi,

Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> IMHO Guix should mimic what Debian is doing in this particular case.
> Meaning having desktop packages that contain a “full” desktop with
> default applications for common usages.
>
> This would consist in adding ‘libreoffice’ and replacing ‘epiphany’ with
> ‘icecat’ in the ‘gnome’ package.  Additionally a ‘gnome-core’ package
> (or ‘gnome-minimal’ which seems to be the name convention chosen by
> Guix) could be created with the minimal set of packages required to have
> a working GNOME desktop, for OCD people that don't like having unused
> packages installed.

Hmm, OK.  Do you think it’s too much to ask, given the current audience
(tinkerers), to add those packages to their config, or to install them
with “guix package -i”?

Admittedly this is a very subjective issue.

Ludo’.