Subject: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2018 14:34:24 +0100

[email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hello!
>
> Quiliro <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> It would be nice to create a desktop.scm file that contains all
>> necessary packages to have a fully functional desktop installation for
>> the end user. It is for that user that only uses the machine to write
>> and read emails, create and read text documents and spreadsheets too. I
>> know the current desktop.scm contain some of those features and that
>> after that
>> guix package --install pidgin libreoffice icecat clawsmail
>> (and so) can provide the necessary packages. But I would like to make
>> an installation that is just as trisquel is. It is not necessary to
>> have the same configuration or the same packages. But it would be
>> useful to have it as easy to just use as is Trisquel.
>
> The desktop example contains all of GNOME, when choosing GNOME, which
> provides an email client, Web browser, and lots of other things.
>
> Additional packages like those you mention could be added to the
> ‘packages’ field, in which case they will be installed globally, like
> the rest of GNOME.
>
> I wouldn’t recommend adding those 4 packages you mention by default
> though, because it’s really a matter of choice (and it’s redundant with
> what GNOME provides, I think.)

I think your remark applies to pidgin and clawsmail but not to
Libreoffice and Icecat (Firefox) which are commonly installed OOTB by
mainstream distros (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora) along with the GNOME
desktop.

-- 
Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37