Subject: Re: bug#25296: fully functional desktop installation

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2017 11:16:29 +0100

Hi Quiliro!

Quiliro <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 22:11:01 +0100
> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

[...]

>> The desktop example contains all of GNOME, when choosing GNOME, which
>> provides an email client, Web browser, and lots of other things.
>
> I don't find the email client.
> The web browser will not reproduce videos.

This is a bug that needs to be treated separately.  Clearly Nautilus
should be able to play videos.

> I have no idea how to chat in Gnome. (Of course I will investigate.)

There’s Pidgin, but maybe it’s not really part of GNOME.

> What you say makes sense. But what users that cannot learn to install
> need to work on their own matters is very important in order for them to
> be able to advocate the free system. Perhaps we do not want to promote
> the use of Flash or Microsoft Office formats. These issues are
> critical. But they are not against the FSDGs. And the user must notice
> we are able to offer those capabilities. We must always insist in
> suggesting to use the libre alternatives. In this case, we should not
> avoid including the ability to read those formats.

I agree, but again, I think GNOME provides everything for these tasks.
Also, at this point, the target audience of GuixSD is not “users that
cannot learn to install”—if someone managed to install GuixSD, surely
they’ll find out how to install LibreOffice.

> I have also had problems with Mimetypes. Many files will not open
> because the Gnome will not identify which program is appropriate.

Sounds like a bug.  Could you report all the details to
[email-masked]: how to reproduce, what you expected, and what you got?

Thank you!

Ludo’.