Subject: bug#25288: 25.1; term, ansi-term, broken output of utf8 text

From: Vjacheslav <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 13:41:55 +0300

Trying to use this command from terminal running bash:

[fva@localhost ~]$ python -c 'print "ш"*5000'

produces garbage (шшш\321\210шшш) in output. Terminal needs reset. Possibly this 
is a bug which seen in very old linux, (breaks multibyte characters on buffer 
borders).

default-process-coding-system is OK:

default-process-coding-system is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
Its value is (utf-8-unix . utf-8-unix)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.4)
  of 2016-12-15 built on buildvm-30.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11900000
Configured using:
  'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
  --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
  --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
  --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
  --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
  --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
  --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
  --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
  --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
  host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
  -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
  -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
  -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
  -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
  PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ru_RU.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Term

Minor modes in effect:
   show-paren-mode: t
   recentf-mode: t
   delete-selection-mode: t
   global-auto-complete-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Checking 120 files in /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete...
Checking for load-path shadows...done
Auto-saving...
next-line: End of buffer [2 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [7 times]
Quit
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [4 times]
previous-line: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer [2 times]
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(pp shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils thingatpt
help-fns help-mode term disp-table ehelp easy-mmode ropemacs ring pymacs
advice paren recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu delsel cus-start
cus-load erlang-start auto-complete-config auto-complete edmacro kmacro
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib popup time-date mule-util cyril-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 118333 17341)
  (symbols 48 23114 0)
  (miscs 40 145 285)
  (strings 32 22117 5473)
  (string-bytes 1 586321)
  (vectors 16 15669)
  (vector-slots 8 490744 11337)
  (floats 8 203 310)
  (intervals 56 965 1)
  (buffers 976 25))