Subject: bug#2526: closed (Re: bug#2526: NS: font names have become case-sensitive)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 07:13:02 +0000

Your bug report

#2526: NS: font names have become case-sensitive

which was filed against the emacs,ns package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
2526: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=2526
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#2526: NS: font names have become case-sensitive
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 02:10:43 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.0.92

IIUC, NS font names should no longer be case sensitive.

Ref http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-06/msg00365.html

Subject: NS: font names have become case-sensitive
From: David Reitter <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 16:54:01 -0500

It seems that in NS (on OS X), font names have become case-sensitive  
since Emacs 22 (Carbon at least).  Setting a face to use family  
"lucida grande" or "monaco" doesn't work - it results in frames full  
of empty boxes (because the font can't be loaded, I presume).  I also  
found that the face, if you do (customize-face 'default), have  
their :family attributes set to "Monotype_Sorts".  This font doesn't  
seem to exist on my system.

Given that people have faces configured in their custom-file, I don't  
think a sudden case-sensitivity is going to make our users happy,  
whatever good reasons for this design choice there might exist.

(I can try to write a bug report if the above isn't sufficiently  
detailed.)