Subject: bug#25259: gnu tools conform to ?? older posix?

From: "L. A. Walsh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 01:39:42 -0800

In the 8.26 NEWS file, I found this paragraph:

  These programs are intended to conform to POSIX (with BSD and other
  extensions), like the rest of the GNU system.  By default they conform
  to older POSIX (1003.2-1992), and therefore support obsolete usages
  like "head -10" and "chown owner.group file".  This default is
  overridden at build-time by ... and in turn can be overridden
  at runtime ...

----

I don't think the above is correct w/r/t "rm" with its previous
functionality removed to enforce compliance with the latest POSIX
(not the 1992 POSIX).

I'm pretty sure that the 1992 version of POSIX didn't override
the historical design and behavior of "rm" by disabling
the "depth-first" removal of files if you specified "DIRNAME/.",
and generating an error message at the end (suppressible with
the "-f" switch).

As GNU utils strive for compliance w/the older POSIX standard,
I would like for rm's functionality to be restored. 

In order to make it more useful, I ask that the --one-file-system
switch have a short-form, "-x", to indicate negation of crossing
file-system boundaries.

Thanks & Cheers!
  :-) Linda