Subject: bug#25254: [minor] 'About' page says GuixSD is a "GNU/Linux

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2016 11:45:50 -0500

I agree with Tylan.

Instead of the current patch, however, I'd change the whole paragraph to 
something like this (a combination with the current first paragraph on 
Wikipedia):

GuixSD (Guix System Distribution) is a distribution of the [GNU 
operating system][link] centered on the GNU Guix package manager. It 
uses the [Linux-libre kernel][link] by default, with the [GNU 
Hurd][link] being supported as of version 0.12.0. As a GNU distribution, 
it is committed to respecting and enhancing the [freedom][link] of its 
users, and adheres to the [GNU Free System Distribution 
Guidelines][link].

To David, the Guix developers had the intention to call the system just 
GNU, and distribute it as GNU (Guix is a GNU project after all), but RMS 
didn't agree, so it was decided to use the GuixSD name and call it "A 
distribution of GNU", and not "THE distribution of GNU." [1]

[1] 
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2014-11/msg00002.html

-- 
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/