Subject: Re: bug#25254: [minor] 'About' page says GuixSD is a "GNU/Linux distribution"

From: [email-masked] (Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 19:51:40 +0100

David Craven <[email-masked]> writes:

>> It would be better to be consistent with the home page and make clear
>> that GuixSD is a GNU distribution, with Linux-libre being the default
>> kernel for the foreseeable future.
>
>> Background: Wikipedia has a policy to call GNU/Linux distributions
>> "Linux distribution" because that wrong term is more commonly used by
>> the public.  To define GuixSD as a "GNU/Linux distribution" gives them
>> in turn justification to define it as a "Linux distribution" instead.
>
> That's a sound decision, who knows what a GNU distribution is? People
> are confused enough on this topic, no need to let them believe that
> this is something totally different.
>
> When I refer to the term operating system - I'm mostly referring to
> the meaning in the sense of kernel, again usually I use unprecise
> terms to communicate efficiently with people who get distracted by my
> usage of preciser terms. Everybody knows the word OS but may not know
> what a kernel is.
>
> Besides on most systems there is a lot more software than just what is
> provided by GNU or Linux. If we want to be precise we can call it a
> mostly POSIX distribution. People might be more aware of the term
> POSIX than the term GNU (from my limited sampling at a technical
> university), while also providing information or meaning. Calling it a
> GNU system is just as descriptive as calling it a Linux system or a
> Guix system or a remotely similar to Mac OS X system or a Windows with
> cygwin system without windows.

I don't think this is the place to discuss that particular issue at
large.  That can be done on Wikipedia, or elsewhere.

I think the Guix project authors probably agree on GuixSD being defined
as a GNU distribution.  The question is whether or not to make the About
page consistent with that.

Taylan