Subject: Re: bug#25248: please, include Legacy Grub in your distro

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2016 22:58:04 +0100

Hello!

Gennadii Kondratiev <[email-masked]> skribis:

> May I ask you and everybody in GNU organization to again include Legacy
> Grub as a normal package in GuixSD and in everything? The reason is that it
> is just terrible to install the system and after not to have access to it
> or invent something how to boot it. Grub2 is invalide. For what anybody
> does need such an entity which cannot install itself on a arbitrary
> prtition?  Of course, people use different operating systems, which are on
> different partitions. I always install grub on the root partition. But
> Grub2 does not work, because you specially cut its ability.

Could you explain how you installed GuixSD and what exactly goes wrong
with GRUB (error messages, etc.)?

> !!!Please, include Legacy Grub in GuixSD!!!

GRUB 1.x is unmaintained AFAIK, and it’s incompatible and has a reduced
feature set.  It’s unlikely that we’ll add it to GuixSD.

However, if you have troubles with GuixSD and GRUB 2.x, then we should
certainly fix them, either in GuixSD or in GRUB!

Thanks,
Ludo’.