Subject: bug#25228: 25.1; GNU emacs 25.1: custom-set-faces from init file ~/.emacs ignored

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Werner Fink)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 11:03:06 +0100

Hi,

just get a bug report from an user and I've verified that: using
(custom-set-faces) is ignored from ~/.emacs.  Using eval-expression
in minibuffer after start shows that the function its self does work.

The example was
(custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "B&H
LucidaTypewriter" :foundry "B&H" :slant normal :weight normal :height 90
:width normal)))))

I've tried direct in ~/.emacs as well as with a separate defined custom
file in ~/.emacs with

  (setq custom-file "~/.gnu-emacs-custom")
  (load custom-file t t)

and I've verified that ~/.emacs as well as ~/.gnu-emacs-custom will be
loaded as strace shows.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.16.7)
 of 2016-09-21 built on lamb20
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	openSUSE Leap 42.1 (x86_64)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-pop --without-hesiod --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5
 --with-xim --with-wide-int --with-file-notification=inotify
 --with-modules --enable-autodepend --prefix=/usr
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share
 --localstatedir=/var --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x --with-sound --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-dbus --with-xft --without-gpm
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xwidgets --x-includes=/usr/include
 --x-libraries=/usr/lib64 --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt
 --build=x86_64-suse-linux 'CFLAGS=-fmessage-length=0
 -grecord-gcc-switches -O2 -Wall -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fstack-protector
 -funwind-tables -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -g -D_GNU_SOURCE
 -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS -DGLIB_DISABLE_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS
 -pipe -Wno-pointer-sign -Wno-unused-variable -Wno-unused-label
 -Wno-unprototyped-calls -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -fno-PIE
 -DSYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA=55000 -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=10000 '
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O2'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: POSIX
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/lib/site-lisp/rmime hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rmime

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr warnings emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr
mail-utils font-latex byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib cconv tex dbus xml advice easymenu xfonts
rmailgen paren preview-latex tex-site auto-loads ispell time-date
mule-util delsel lpr tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 108858 11724)
 (symbols 48 22141 0)
 (miscs 40 145 193)
 (strings 32 22181 5006)
 (string-bytes 1 672385)
 (vectors 16 14980)
 (vector-slots 8 495866 4807)
 (floats 8 183 129)
 (intervals 56 275 0)
 (buffers 976 19)
 (heap 1024 29223 918))