Subject: bug#25227: [Website] Package-related pages redesign proposal

From: sirgazil <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 11:57:36 -0500

Hi,

I'd like to summarize the status of this proposal.

Parts of this proposal that have been implemented in the website source 
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git) include:

* Paginated list of packages (available both in gnu.org and guix.info).
* Individual package pages (available in guix.info only).

Using individual package pages in gnu.org continues to be a problem 
because of the CVS limitation. However, here is a recent comment from 
Ricardo Wurmus, one of GNU Guix maintainers, about a possible future for 
the Guix website 
(https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-02/msg00107.html):

 > Eventually, I’d like guix.info to disappear and to be replaced with
 > guix.gnu.org, but that new domain isn’t ready yet.  Eventually,
 > the DNS records for guix.gnu.org and all subdomains should be managed
 > by us and be hosted on our servers, so we no longer suffer from
 > limitations imposed by the use of CVS, for example.

Finally, the following parts were not implemented, but could be in the 
future:

* Category and architecture filters.
* Package issue indicators (lint, build issues).
   (Actually, page templates have the code to display the indicator
   and list lint issues, but the `package-lint-issues` procedure is a
   stub.)
* Package logo and screenshots.

I think this proposal could be closed once guix.gnu.org is available and 
the current implementation deployed to it. The parts that were not 
implemented could be reported as individual issues if necessary.

-- 
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/