Subject: bug#25209: 25.1; can't delete *Shell Command Output*

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 18:25:51 +0200

> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 13:45:56 +0100
> From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> >The most promising lead, IMO, is the one about this buffer being shown
> >in the echo area: kill-buffer won't kill the current minibuffer
> >buffer, so I think you should try to break that link.  Thus the first
> >2 questions above are the most probable cause of your trouble.
> 
> Unfortunately I had already tried all your suggestions.  I had not
> thought about the hooks, but now that I look at them I would say that I
> have not set them myself and they look like standard ones.

I have no doubt that you (or some code in Emacs) somehow caused the
shell output buffer to be displayed in the minibuffer.  Emacs refuses
to kill such buffers, and that's what you see.

> I can obviously disregard this, kill Emacs and start a fresh one, but
> maybe there is a bug lurking somewhere and this is a unique chance to
> hunt it down :)

If there's a bug that causes this, it has done its thing long ago, and
our chances to hunt it down given your situation are pretty much nil.

Thanks.