Subject: bug#25209: 25.1; can't delete *Shell Command Output*

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:27:13 +0100

>> On a long-running multi-tty Emacs, at one point the *Shell Command
>> Output* buffer refuses to go away.
>>
>> If I try to kill it, nothing happens, whether the current buffer is that
>> one or any other one.  The contents of the *Shell Command Output* buffer
>> are always visible in the minibuffer.  So, to make it unobtrusive, I
>> need to issue an
>>  M-! echo -n RET
>> every time the *Shell Command Output* buffer is dirtied.
>
>Did you perhaps quit while the output of a shell-command was being
>displayed, because it took too long?

That may well be.

>				       In that situation Emacs can end up
>in a state where (minibuffer-window) points to the *Shell Command
>Output* buffer, and kill-buffer will refuse to kill the buffer.

In *scratch*:

(minibuffer-window)
#<window 2 on *Shell Command Output*>

>You can reset the minibuffer window with
>
>(set-window-buffer (minibuffer-window) (get-buffer " *Minibuf-0*"))

It worked :)

Thanks.

That said, isn't this a bug, and shouldn't it be squashed?