Subject: bug#25209: 25.1; can't delete *Shell Command Output*

From: Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:15:30 +0100

On Dez 15 2016, Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On a long-running multi-tty Emacs, at one point the *Shell Command
> Output* buffer refuses to go away.
>
> If I try to kill it, nothing happens, whether the current buffer is that
> one or any other one.  The contents of the *Shell Command Output* buffer
> are always visible in the minibuffer.  So, to make it unobtrusive, I
> need to issue an
>  M-! echo -n RET
> every time the *Shell Command Output* buffer is dirtied.

Did you perhaps quit while the output of a shell-command was being
displayed, because it took too long?  In that situation Emacs can end up
in a state where (minibuffer-window) points to the *Shell Command
Output* buffer, and kill-buffer will refuse to kill the buffer.

You can reset the minibuffer window with

(set-window-buffer (minibuffer-window) (get-buffer " *Minibuf-0*"))

Andreas.

-- 
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."