Subject: bug#25204: 25.1.50; I can't change the scroll-lock setting when Emacs has the focus

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 16:52:44 +0100

>> >> When Emacs has the focus, pressing the <scroll> key (usually labelled
>> >> "scroll lock") has no effect, i.e., if scroll-lock was enabled at that
>> >> moment, it remains enabled (and vice-versa).
>> >
>> > When I do that, I see Emacs bitching at me, saying that <scroll> is
>> > undefined.  Don't you see that?
>>
>> Yes, I do.  And the scroll-lock led of my keyboard blinks as if the
>> setting was changed but restored after a fraction of a second.
>
> That's the intended behavior, since Emacs receives and by default
> ignores that key.
>
> Why is that a problem?

That (Emacs ignoring the key) is not the problem I reported.

> What did you expect this key to do inside
> Emacs, when it is not bound to any key?  AFAIK, it has no system-wide
> default behavior, each application does whatever it pleases with it.

I expect the <scroll> key to *always* toggle the "scroll lock"
(system-wide) state, which is the behavior I've ever seen, with the
only exception reported here.

It doesn't make any sense to me that Emacs, when focused, blocks the
current "scroll lock" state.  To me, this is definitely unexpected
(annoying) behavior.

-- 
Dani Moncayo