Subject: bug#25203: 25.1; crash during message, infinite recursion

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:55:21 +0200

> Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 17:48:57 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> From: Werner LEMBERG <[email-masked]>
> 
> > In fact, any I/O that might require encoding should be completely
> > avoided in pre-write-conversion.
> 
> Is this documented?  If yes, I've missed it.

Frankly, it should be obvious: you are recursively invoking the same
operation that is being processed by the calling function.

I added a note about this to the doc string of define-coding-system.
However, I really doubt that this will do any tangible good, since we
don't document how to define a coding-system.  The ELisp manual says
just this:

     How to define a coding system is an arcane matter, and is not
  documented here.

Any reasons not to close this bug report, now that all of its aspects
have been addressed?

Thanks.