Subject: bug#25202: llibtool 2.4.6: ibltdl ends up with an undefined symbol on Solaris 11

From: Quanah Gibson-Mount <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2016 15:25:23 -0800

Hello,

Attempting to build libtool 2.4.6 with the system provided gcc (Tried 4.7 
and 5.3 which are both avaible via the pkg installer) on Solaris 11.3, the 
compiled libltdl library ends up with an undefined symbol in the shared 
library, making it impossible to link to it, as any attempt results in an 
error.

nm shows:

[393]   |                   0|                   0|NOTY |GLOB |0    |UNDEF 
|lt_libltdl_LTX_preloaded_symbols

Attemps to link to the generated shared library error out with:

configure:15439: gcc -m64 -static-libgcc -lrt -o conftest -g -O2 -fno-lto 
-fno-use-linker-plugin 
-I/export/home/quanah/git/sold-2.4.44/install/i86pc_64/opt/symas/include 
-fno-lto -fno-use-linker-plugin 
-L/export/home/quanah/git/sold-2.4.44/install/i86pc_64/opt/symas/lib/64 
conftest.c -lltdl    >&5
Undefined                       first referenced
 symbol                             in file
lt_libltdl_LTX_preloaded_symbols 
/export/home/quanah/git/sold-2.4.44/install/i86pc_64/opt/symas/lib/64/libltdl.so
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I added the flags to disable LTO in case they had any effect, but the 
result is the same with or without them (-fno-lto -fno-use-linker-plugin)

Build works fine on Linux based OSes.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Architect
Symas Corporation
Packaged, certified, and supported LDAP solutions powered by OpenLDAP:
<http://www.symas.com>