Subject: bug#2520: 23.0.91; Dies on SIGHUP

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 17:50:05 -0500

severity 2520 wishlist
thanks

> 1) emacs -Q. Emacs process starts.
> 2) pkill -s 1 emacs. Emacs process dies.

> The more appropriate behavior would be to reload the configuration
> without restarting (i.e. reread X resource values).  This behavior
> would be especially useful for the daemon mode.

It could make sense, indeed.  It can be pretty problematic as well,
since most config files read by Emacs (i.e. site-start.el, default.el,
.emacs) are normally only read a single time per session, and in
a particular order, at a particular time, so rereading them later on can
very easily give you unexpected results.

It is a good practice to keep your .emacs file "idempotent", but I think
such files are the exceptions rather than the rule.  So, yes, it could
be handy, but it would have to come with big warnings "may not do what
you expect".

> I'm pretty sure previous snapshot versions used to work that way.

Maybe in some other world.

        Stefan