Subject: bug#25177: Test failures don't cause some Python packages to fail [was Re: [PATCH 05/11] gnu: Add python-pygit2.]

From: Hartmut Goebel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 23:23:59 +0100

First of all thanks for spotting this bug.

>> The bad news is that we have some breakages.
>>
>> 'python-py' fails with:
>>
>> TypeError: py.test.__dict__ is not a dictionary
>>
>> Which seems similar to
>>
>> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/12565#issuecomment-174165144

The relevant comment is
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/12565#issuecomment-174196194:
Starting with version 18.4, setuptools will always try to execute a
test-suite (see
https://setuptools.readthedocs.io/en/latest/history.html#id186), which
will fail if there is none.

So the solution is to disable the test-suite for python-py, as there is
no test-suite which can be run via "setup.py test". For testing I added
"python-setuptools" (18.3.1) as native input. This made the "check"
phase run "0 tests" for python2-py and no tests at al for python-py.

(This package includes a test-suite (see tox.ini), but this test-suite
requires py.test, with itself requires python-py. So I suggest to
disable it.)

Our Python (3.5.2) comes with setuptools 20.10.1.

> Yikes, I had hoped to avoid addressing that Nix issue and the humongous
> "fix" for a while longer:
>
> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/12552

This puill-request is huge, but for setuptools, it comes down that they
updated from 18.2 to 19.4.

-- 
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | [email-masked]               |
| www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |