Subject: bug#25166: 26.0.50; It shouldn't be possible to set the function cell of nil and t

From: Philipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 10:41:13 +0100

You can set the function cell of nil and t using `fset' and friends.
But you can't call the `nil' function using (nil) (it does work with
(t)).  I think that attempting to set the function cell of nil and t is
almost always a bug -- probably the programmer wanted to set a real
symbol, but some of the constants got passed.  I propose to signal an
error (e.g. `setting-constant') whenever the function cell of nil and t
is modified; maybe the same should happen for keywords.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.5 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2016-12-10 built on localhost
Repository revision: dc62ea38e36b5de47893a60a76d66b7a79bf6437
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11702000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-checking --enable-check-lisp-object-type
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND GSETTINGS NOTIFY GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 97085 5586)
 (symbols 48 20041 0)
 (miscs 40 331 105)
 (strings 32 17859 3593)
 (string-bytes 1 580498)
 (vectors 16 13985)
 (vector-slots 8 448755 7198)
 (floats 8 179 25)
 (intervals 56 201 0)
 (buffers 976 11)
 (heap 1024 47360 1053))