Subject: 26.0.50; Unable to access `user-emacs-directory' (~/.emacs.d/)

From: Richard Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 19:34:21 -0800

My build of emacs 26 (git repo version 25a52ca of 2016/12/10)
starts up with the following warning:

  Warning (initialization): Unable to access `user-emacs-directory' (~/.emacs.d/).
  Any data that would normally be written there may be lost!
  If you never want to see this message again,
  customize the variable `user-emacs-directory-warning'.

This is despite setting the variable as suggested to suppress such warning.
I think this warning should not be printed.

Emacs is started like this:

  chmod 0 ~/.emacs.d
  ~/opt/emacs26/bin/emacs -q \
    --eval '(setq user-emacs-directory (expand-file-name "~/elisp/"))' \
    --eval '(setq user-emacs-directory-warning nil)'

Emacs 25 (git repo build of emacs-25 branch) started the same way does
not print this warning.

I always make ~/.emacs.d unreadable so that emacs will not create files
without me knowing about it.  I set user-emacs-directory to a directory
that is version controlled via git.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.3 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-12-10 built on kimr-ubuntu
Repository revision: 25a52ca6b2521623334e5768ae26e46595a1b36b
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
M-s M-x is undefined

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=yes --with-xml2 --without-compress-install
 --with-modules --with-file-notification=yes --prefix
 /home/kimr/opt/emacs-26-20161210 CFLAGS=-O3'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec
password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr
mail-utils time-date warnings mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 98326 6613)
 (symbols 48 20238 0)
 (miscs 40 435 129)
 (strings 32 18189 4875)
 (string-bytes 1 596736)
 (vectors 16 14137)
 (vector-slots 8 457905 5856)
 (floats 8 183 32)
 (intervals 56 227 0)
 (buffers 976 12)
 (heap 1024 32721 1008))