Subject: bug#25159: chown bug ? or sys glitch ?

From: ahfc <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:51:56 +0100

Dear bug-hunters,

This message maybe totally useless but maybe a confirmation if similar
received.

Chown gave an "Operation not permitted"  "error"  but seems to have
worked as expected anyway.

Maybe a system glitch or a chown bug so just fyi.

Intention:  change  root:root  to  root:users   on dir struct
command:  sudo chown -R root:users /run/media/user_name/long_disk_number/*

( so mounted through /run/media     but an internal disk  i.e. no
external usb, or such )

chown went happily on its way but with a message in between:

chown: changing ownership of ‘/run/media/rest_/of_/path_/filename ':
Operation not permitted

Puzzling, but no time to look into it immediately.
After sys power off ( and later on again ) I did an

"ls -hal"  on that specific file: it had become root:users   after all;
surprisingly !

To check if I had not checked a wrong (rightly changed) filename I did a
"find -not -group users"   on the dir struct
which did not come up with any ( by chown ) missed file, so all seems
well after all.

Also a replay of the command for that (already changed to root:users
file) worked without no problem.
Also2 changing that file to root:dialout   and back again to root:users 
showed no problem.

in conclusion: ???

background info:
chown (GNU coreutils) 8.22

Best regards,
A. Colijn