Subject: bug#25139: closed (Re: bug#25139: making the update procedure more obvious)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 14:11:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25139: making the update procedure more obvious

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25139: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25139
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25139: making the update procedure more obvious
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 15:09:45 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

Dave Love <[email-masked]> skribis:

> It's not very obvious to a newcomer how to update to a new release as
> it's rather buried in the doc.  I think it would help to reference
> "pull" in the installation section of the manual, and maybe in release
> announcements, and to index "upgrading" and/or "upgrades" in the manual.
> I'm not sure it's worth me suggesting a patch, but I could if it helps.

I made these changes:

modified   doc/guix.texi
@@ -359,6 +359,9 @@ without interference.  Its data lives exclusively in two directories,
 usually @file{/gnu/store} and @file{/var/guix}; other files on your
 system, such as @file{/etc}, are left untouched.
 
+Once installed, Guix can be updated by running @command{guix pull}
+(@pxref{Invoking guix pull}).
+
 @menu
 * Binary Installation::         Getting Guix running in no time!
 * Requirements::                Software needed to build and run Guix.
@@ -2308,6 +2311,7 @@ this option is primarily useful when the daemon was running with
 @section Invoking @command{guix pull}
 
 @cindex upgrading Guix
+@cindex updating Guix
 @cindex @command{guix pull}
 @cindex pull
 Packages are installed or upgraded to the latest version available in
@@ -6949,6 +6953,14 @@ initialized by running the @command{passwd} command as @code{root},
 unless your configuration specifies otherwise
 (@pxref{user-account-password, user account passwords}).
 
+@cindex upgrading GuixSD
+From then on, you can update GuixSD whenever you want by running
+@command{guix pull} as @code{root} (@pxref{Invoking guix pull}), and
+then running @command{guix system reconfigure} to build a new system
+generation with the latest packages and services (@pxref{Invoking guix
+system}).  We recommend doing that regularly so that your system
+includes the latest security updates (@pxref{Security Updates}).
+
 Join us on @code{#guix} on the Freenode IRC network or on
 @file{guix-devel@@gnu.org} to share your experience---good or not so
 good.

Thanks!

Ludo’.

Subject: making the update procedure more obvious
From: Dave Love <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 15:28:11 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It's not very obvious to a newcomer how to update to a new release as
it's rather buried in the doc.  I think it would help to reference
"pull" in the installation section of the manual, and maybe in release
announcements, and to index "upgrading" and/or "upgrades" in the manual.
I'm not sure it's worth me suggesting a patch, but I could if it helps.