Subject: RE: bug#25131: thwarted from copying what one sees in Info

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2016 09:02:35 -0800 (PST)

> > The string is available from the C-x = buffer.
> 
> One apparently must put the cursor on the first (the only possible)
> character, hit C-x =, and then dig it out of the *Messages* buffer,
> encrusted in:
> 
> Char: F (70, #o106, #x46, part of display "File..."->"(coreutils)Top >
> Directory listing > ls invocation > Sorting the output
> ") point=232756 of 849416 (27%) <232756-235061> column=0
> 
> Not very user friendly.

Indeed.  You can at least use `C-u C-x =', and then get it from the
*Help* buffer that is shown.

But this is a workaround, and it is unlikely that someone looking
to copy that text will think of it.

On the other hand, I disagree that we should add a special command
just for copying Info breadcrumbs.  A _general_ solution to the need
to copy displayed stuff (including overlays) should instead be sought.