Subject: bug#25126: 26.0.50; Gnus reacts poorly to email flags being changed behind its back

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 18:28:37 +0200

Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> writes:

> The example in the OP is about nnmaildir.
>
> I don't think the details are relevant, but it happens to be being
> synced from imap by an external process. For example, a maildir file
> might change name from "stuff:2,S" to "stuff:2,RS" if you reply to the
> message via an imap client. Or it could have been moved to a different
> folder, or deleted altogether. It's not obvious to me what Gnus could do
> in this situation.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

> I imagine you could reproduce it by visiting a Maildir with Gnus, then
> renaming one of the files externally.

I don't have any maildir dirs, which probably explains why all the
nnmaildir bug reports are languishing.  Could you pack up a simple one
and mail it to me as a tar file?

> I imagine none of the Gnus backends (except imap) are prepared for files
> to be renamed by other processes while Gnus is running?

Hm...  it depends.  I mean, ideally a `g' should feed Gnus any changed
information, but it might require that the backend in question implement
the "extended" interface that nnimap uses.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no