Subject: bug#25108: closed (Re: bug#25108: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2016 02:26:02 +0000

Your bug report

#25108: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
25108: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=25108
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#25108: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 21:25:13 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 25.2

In 5f7d906 I bumped the makeinfo requirement to 4.13.

Subject: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes
From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:40:28 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I built emacs from git (commit a486fabb41cdbaa5813c2687fd4008945297d71d) via

  git clean -dxf
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure
  make all install

I then invoked it like this

  open --new
~/git-repositories/3rd-party/emacs-master/nextstep/Emacs-master.app/ --args
-Q

I then invoked info on the file elisp.info, something like this (I'm not
sure exactly what I typed, but it wound up leaving this in command-history)

  (info "~/git-repositories/3rd-party/emacs-master/info/elisp.info" nil)

I then typed g Keys SPC in SPC Documentation RET

I then noticed that the description of text-quoting-style looked like
this:

     -- Variable: text-quoting-style
         The value of this variable is a symbol that specifies the style
         Emacs should use for single quotes in the wording of help and
         messages.  If the variable's value is `curve', the style is
         \342\200\230like this\342\200\231 with curved single quotes.  If
the value is
         `straight', the style is 'like this' with straight apostrophes.

It's supposed to have actual curly quotes instead of octal escape sequences.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.1.0, NS appkit-1504.60
Version 10.12.1 (Build 16B2555))
 of 2016-12-03 built on Eric-Hanchrows-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: a486fabb41cdbaa5813c2687fd4008945297d71d
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Composing main Info directory...done
Quit
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
C-x | is undefined

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree map seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs info easymenu time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 273252 11695)
 (symbols 48 29287 0)
 (miscs 40 60 246)
 (strings 32 42280 7568)
 (string-bytes 1 883829)
 (vectors 16 35721)
 (vector-slots 8 689453 7268)
 (floats 8 180 148)
 (intervals 56 4829 0)
 (buffers 976 15))