Subject: bug#25108: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 17:42:57 +0200

[Please keep the bug address on the CC list.]

> From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 03:07:57 +0000
> 
>  > coding: UTF-8
>  > End:
> 
>  Does it help to lower-case "UTF-8"?
> 
> Nope. To my surprise, however, it _does_ work if I delete the large "Tag table" paragraph, or if I move the
> "Local Variables" section -after- the "Tag Table" section.

It should have been after the Tag Table in the first place.  It should
be at the very end of the file (within 3KB from its end, to be exact).

>  If it does, please tell what version of makeinfo was used to produced
>  this file (you should find that information at the beginning of the
>  file).
> 
> makeinfo version 4.8 

This is really old; the current version is 6.3.  Texinfo 4.8 was the
first one that supported @documentencoding, so I guess it had some
bugs in that area.  I suggest to upgrade.

Any reason not to close this bug report, now that we know it wasn't an
Emacs problem?

Thanks.