Subject: bug#25108: 26.0.50; info node shows octal characters instead of curvy quotes

From: Eric Hanchrow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 17:40:28 +0000

I built emacs from git (commit a486fabb41cdbaa5813c2687fd4008945297d71d) via

  git clean -dxf
  ./autogen.sh
  ./configure
  make all install

I then invoked it like this

  open --new
~/git-repositories/3rd-party/emacs-master/nextstep/Emacs-master.app/ --args
-Q

I then invoked info on the file elisp.info, something like this (I'm not
sure exactly what I typed, but it wound up leaving this in command-history)

  (info "~/git-repositories/3rd-party/emacs-master/info/elisp.info" nil)

I then typed g Keys SPC in SPC Documentation RET

I then noticed that the description of text-quoting-style looked like
this:

     -- Variable: text-quoting-style
         The value of this variable is a symbol that specifies the style
         Emacs should use for single quotes in the wording of help and
         messages.  If the variable's value is `curve', the style is
         \342\200\230like this\342\200\231 with curved single quotes.  If
the value is
         `straight', the style is 'like this' with straight apostrophes.

It's supposed to have actual curly quotes instead of octal escape sequences.

In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin16.1.0, NS appkit-1504.60
Version 10.12.1 (Build 16B2555))
 of 2016-12-03 built on Eric-Hanchrows-MacBook-Pro.local
Repository revision: a486fabb41cdbaa5813c2687fd4008945297d71d
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1504
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Composing main Info directory...done
Quit
Making completion list...
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
C-x | is undefined

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Info

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message subr-x puny format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils help-fns radix-tree map seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
dired dired-loaddefs info easymenu time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/ns-win
ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 273252 11695)
 (symbols 48 29287 0)
 (miscs 40 60 246)
 (strings 32 42280 7568)
 (string-bytes 1 883829)
 (vectors 16 35721)
 (vector-slots 8 689453 7268)
 (floats 8 180 148)
 (intervals 56 4829 0)
 (buffers 976 15))