Subject: Re: bug#25105: 26.0.50; diff navigation is broken

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2017 01:27:26 +0300

On 08.01.2017 01:16, Dima Kogan wrote:
> This clearly shows that it would be useful to have some binding that
> jumps to the beginning of the current hunk. But that's not the same as
> moving to the 'next' hunk, which is what 'n' ostensibly is supposed to
> do.

`n' is the easiest key to press, so it should perform navigation that 
the users will find most useful, in general.

If the behavior does not correspond to the command name, it would be 
better to rename the command, or change its docstring, or etc.

But I don't think `diff-hunk-next' jumping to the beginning of the first 
hunk when invoked at the file header, is in any way odd. After all, 
point wasn't inside a hunk before.

> Right. The choice is whether to revert the new behavior entirely, or to
> leave it in with a switch. Since we're looking at a small sample here,
> it's not clear which is the right move.

Note, however, that nobody else has stepped forward to explicitly 
support the new behavior.

If you get around to polling Emacs users at your workplace, or a meetup, 
or so on, please let us know.