Subject: bug#25096: shr: Add a customizable face for links after being clicked

From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 13:27:21 -0800

On 2016-12-02 Fri 11:13 GMT-0800, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> It is often confusing that after clicking on a link to visit it in
>> an external browser, you are not really sure whether it has been really
>> clicked. Browsers such as Firefox use a dashed box to indicate that.
>> It would be nice if shr also supports this feature.
>
> Where do you see such links, in Emacs?
>
> There is already face `link-visited', which is for visited links,
> as opposed to face `link', which is for unvisited links.
>
> And in Info, there is face `info-xref-visited', which is for visited
> links, as opposed to `info-xref', which is for unvisited links.
>
> For another context, Emacs could do something similar.  What is
> the face you see now, for the links you are interested in?  Is it
> `link'? `custom-link'?
>
> No doubt it is the context (mode) where you are clicking the link
> that needs to DTRT: use a visited-link face after you use a link.
> What is that context?

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about it in eww.

Also, I'm not talking about a "visited-link" -- it is really about
indication that a link was just successfully clicked. For example, in
eww, visit an arbitrary page and move point to an arbitrary link and
then press '&' (eww-browse-with-external-browser). There is no
indication that the command has been executed. Even a dashed box lasting
a few seconds on the clicked URL would help a lot.