Subject: Re: bug#25092: 25.1; MML doesn't handle GPG keys with a DOB

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 12:42:45 +0200

Vincent Bernat <[email-masked]> writes:

> When trying to encrypt a message to a recipient whose GPG key contains a
> date of birth (for example 96122F32E770733EDEBD190FC5C329EC35C2E2F1), I
> get an error in mml-secure-check-user-id because one of the uid is a
> date of birth and not an email address.
>
> Therefore, (mail-header-parse-address (epg-user-id-string uid)) is nil
> and downcase fails. Adding (car (mail-header-parse-address
> (epg-user-id-string uid))) to the condition fixes the problem.

You didn't include a backtrace, so I'm not 100% sure what code fails,
but according to your description I think it's likely that this bug was
fixed by the commit to Emacs 27 below, and I'm closing this bug report.
If this is still a problem, please reopen.

commit 90177d7f12d25e403abc6f1bdf242aed308a7bb8
Author: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date:   Fri Jan 18 03:12:07 2019 -0500

    Avoid elisp crash for OpenPGP User IDs with no e-mail address
    
    * lisp/gnus/mml-sec.el (mml-secure-check-user-id): Verify that
    there is an e-mail address in the current User ID before trying
    to downcase it.  (Bug#34121)
    
    Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no