Subject: Re: bug#2507: 23.0.91; Stripping emacs.exe on MS-Windows produces an invalid program

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:14:16 +0200

> Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 13:01:07 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: 
> 
>   strip emacs.exe
>   emacs -Q
> 
> results in the OS popping an error dialog saying:
> 
>   emacs.exe is not a valid Win32 application

More info: building Emacs like this:

    make USER_LDFLAGS=-s install

produces an already stripped emacs.exe that is 8548352 bytes large.
So this should serve as a stop-gap in case we cannot easily find a
cure for running `strip' on the dumped Emacs.

One further idea to ponder is that the fact we now compile with
DWARF-2 debug info is the reason for the problem with stripping the
dumped Emacs.  Can someone please try rebuilding with "-gstabs"
instead of "-gdwarf-2 -g3", and see if that produces an emacs.exe
which can be safely stripped?