Subject: 25.1; Edebug fails to instrument code which uses propertized strings

From: Gemini Lasswell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:10:16 -0800

Edebug gives an error message if you try to use it on code which uses
strings with text properties. To reproduce, using emacs -Q if you like,
enter the following code into *scratch* and type C-u C-M-x:

(defun my-fun ()
  (message "%s" #("abcd" 1 3 (face italic))))

This results in the error message: "Invalid read syntax: "Bad char after #"

Here is the backtrace:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-read-syntax "Bad char after #")
  signal(invalid-read-syntax ("Bad char after #"))
  edebug-syntax-error("Bad char after #")
  edebug-read-function(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-storing-offsets(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-list(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-storing-offsets(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-list(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-storing-offsets(#<buffer *scratch*>)
  edebug-read-and-maybe-wrap-form1()
  edebug-read-and-maybe-wrap-form()
  edebug-read-top-level-form()
  edebug-eval-defun((4))
  apply(edebug-eval-defun (4))
  eval-defun((4))
  funcall-interactively(eval-defun (4))
  call-interactively(eval-defun nil nil)
  command-execute(eval-defun)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin15.6.0, NS appkit-1404.47 Version 10.11.6 (Build 15G1004))
 of 2016-10-09 built on rainbow.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1404
Configured using:
 'configure --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-silent-rules
 --enable-locallisppath=/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --infodir=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.1/share/info/emacs
 --prefix=/usr/local/Cellar/emacs/25.1 --without-x --with-xml2
 --without-dbus --with-gnutls --with-imagemagick --with-rsvg --with-ns
 --disable-ns-self-contained'

Configured features:
JPEG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
NS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Mark set
edebug-syntax-error: Invalid read syntax: "Bad char after #"

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr
mail-utils edebug easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 198711 10003)
 (symbols 48 20106 0)
 (miscs 40 50 167)
 (strings 32 16048 5094)
 (string-bytes 1 457556)
 (vectors 16 33450)
 (vector-slots 8 658299 4717)
 (floats 8 160 49)
 (intervals 56 222 0)
 (buffers 976 17))