Subject: bug#25054: 25.1; bury-buffer makes bad choice of next buffer

From: Francesco Potortì <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 19:51:27 +0100

If I have the screen divided into two windows showing two different
buffers and issue M-x bury-buffer on one of them, the window will show
the same buffer that is shown in the other window.

This is different from what it was in Emacs 22, and I find it very
annoying.  Unless there is good reason for the new behaviour, the buffer
displayed should be the "other buffer".  To reproduce:

C-x 1 RET
C-x b a RET
C-x b b RET
C-x b c RET
C-x 4 b d RET
M-x bury-buffer RET

Now both windows show buffer c, while the current buffer should display
buffer b.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2016-10-24, modified by Debian built on trouble
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured using:
 'configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs25:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2
 -fdebug-prefix-map=/build/emacs25-25.1+1=. -fstack-protector-strong
 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: it_IT.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: TeX

Minor modes in effect:
  longlines-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  openwith-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Showing message 809...done
Showing message 809...done
Showing message 809...done
message learnt as spam
No following nondeleted message
Expunging deleted messages...done
Showing message 808...
Saving file /home/pot/Mail/RMAIL...
Wrote /home/pot/Mail/RMAIL [2 times]
Quit

Load-path shadows:
~/elisp/bhl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp/bhl
~/elisp/bhl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/bhl
/usr/share/emacs/25.1/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/rst hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/textmodes/rst
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs25/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/hmac-def

Features:
(shadow emacsbug grep doc-view etags xref project tabify imenu man
latexenc log-edit easy-mmode pcvs-util add-log diff vc-cvs vc-dir ewoc
vc epa derived locate rect dired-aux eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage
dframe find-func misearch multi-isearch dabbrev nero cl mailalias
time-stamp rmailout rmailkwd shr-color color server url-util shr dom
subr-x browse-url jka-compr parse-time unrmail bibtex info sh-script
executable sgml-mode cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs image-mode view conf-mode
generic vc-filewise vc-rcs octave smie longlines vc-dispatcher vc-svn
tex-mode compile qp rmailmm message mml mml-sec epg mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 desktop
frameset term/xterm xterm pot skeleton rmailsum rmail warnings sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils mime-compose cal-china lunar solar
cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs vc-hg appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs tramp
tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete
format-spec bhl switch-to-shell openwith hi-lock xt-mouse ffap thingatpt
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util
time-date mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
scroll-in-place filladapt advice time quail mailcrypt rfc822 comint
ansi-color ring mailcrypt-init dired-x dired generic-x disp-table
finder-inf package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile
cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib debian-el
debian-el-loaddefs w3m-load vm-autoload vm-autoloads vm-version vm-vars
vm-init mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 552704 95748)
 (symbols 48 37527 0)
 (miscs 40 5169 2311)
 (strings 32 83724 8222)
 (string-bytes 1 2785896)
 (vectors 16 61226)
 (vector-slots 8 1717342 181831)
 (floats 8 1054 991)
 (intervals 56 47986 1943)
 (buffers 976 126))