Subject: Re: bug#25046: 26.0.50; Arguments of `ediff-janitor' undocumented

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 13:47:33 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> schrieb am Fr., 2. Dez. 2016 um 10:30 Uhr:

> > From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
> > Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 21:30:18 +0100
> >
> > The function `ediff-janitor' has two required arguments, ASK and
> > KEEP-JANITOR, which are not documented in the docstring.
>
> Thanks, fixed on the emacs-25 branch.
>

Thanks, however I'm still not quite sure about the meaning.
"ASK non-nil means ask the user whether to keep each unmodified buffer,
unless KEEP-VARIANTS is non-nil, in which case buffers are killed
unconditionally."
So if ASK = nil, KEEP-VARIANTS = nil: kill buffers, don't ask about any
buffer
ASK = (nil or non-nil), KEEP-VARIANTS = non-nil: don't kill any buffer,
don't ask
ASK = non-nil, KEEP-VARIANTS = nil: ask about each buffer

If that's the case, shouldn't the documentation rather be something like:
"If KEEP-VARIANTS is non-nil, only indirect buffers are killed [what does
that mean for the user?], and ASK is ignored. Otherwise, if ASK is non-nil,
ask the user for each unmodified buffer whether it should be killed.
Otherwise (both ASK and KEEP-VARIANTS) are nil, all unmodified buffers are
killed without confirmation."
WDYT?