Subject: 25.1; Accent in Windows username prevents Emacs from loading customizations

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 19:33:29 +0100

If I start Emacs by opening (double-clicking) a file that has its extension associated
with Emacs, my user directory is not found, my .emacs is not run
etc. This does not happen if I start emacs from the command-line or by
double-clicking the executable, this way my user directory is correctly found.

Here is the error message:
Warning (initialization): Unable to create `user-emacs-directory' (~/.emacs.d/).
Any data that would normally be written there may be lost!
If you never want to see this message again,
customize the variable `user-emacs-directory-warning'.
Error (initialization): User M rton has no home directory
Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading ‘nil’:

File error: Opening directory, No such file or directory, c:/Users/M\341rton/AppData/Roaming

To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the
cause of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with
the ‘--debug-init’ option to view a complete error backtrace.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2016-09-17 built on LAPHROAIG
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.14393
Configured using:
 'configure --without-dbus --without-compress-install CFLAGS=-static'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: HUN
  locale-coding-system: cp1250

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml mml-sec epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils dired neotree finder-inf
package epg-config sql view thingatpt edmacro kmacro python tramp-sh
tramp tramp-compat auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs gnus-util
mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver
ucs-normalize shell pcomplete format-spec advice json map seq byte-opt
gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv comint ring
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib ansi-color time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 267119 13282)
 (symbols 56 26403 0)
 (miscs 48 51 130)
 (strings 32 39093 8709)
 (string-bytes 1 1184359)
 (vectors 16 42461)
 (vector-slots 8 769735 4330)
 (floats 8 247 62)
 (intervals 56 243 17)
 (buffers 976 18))