Subject: bug#25027: Grep 2.25 misses lines in semi-large file

From: Mattias Jiderhamn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2016 14:25:46 +0100

Hi. I'm using grep 2.25 in cygwin on a 17 MB log file. I happened to 
notice that when I did "grep Migrate" on the file some lines were 
missing. If however I did some other filtering first, i.e. "grep foo | 
grep Migrate" (where foo would match those lines), they are included.

I cannot reproduce this issue with grep 2.5.4 on Linux.

I tried minimizing the log file by removing lines that I did not expect 
in the output, but when removing lines before the expected line the 
problem dissappeared, so somewhere in the first 17 MB (of my 50 MB file) 
there is something triggering the bug.

Due to the nature of the logged data, I'm not willing to make the file 
publically available in a bug report, but I'm willing to transfer it to 
one of the maintainers, or by some other means help out in debugging. 
Please suggest how to proceed.
-- 

*Mattias Jiderhamn*
Architect & Development Lead
Invoice Portal & Exder

*M* +46 735 16 34 13
[email-masked]

<http://www.lexmark.com>
www.lexmark.com