Subject: bug#25025: python-shell-calculate-command is wrong

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 18:12:44 +0200

> From: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 11:06:03 -0500
> 
> > Why does it need to be split?  A shell command can (even should) be
> > handed to the shell as a single string.
> 
> Currently it's not a shell command, because a shell isn't being used.
> My other suggestion was to use a shell:
> 
> >> It might be more intuitive to actually use a shell and then the user
> >> would enter a shell command (though inserting a shell into things
> >> might bring more complications).

If it doesn't use a shell, then it has no business quoting commands or
their parts using shell-related APIs.

So yes, I think using a shell would be TRT here.  Can someone please
work on a patch in that direction?  This problem exists for a long
time, so I hope we could solve it soon.