Subject: Re: bug#25025: python-shell-calculate-command is wrong

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 11:06:03 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 19:50:40 -0500
>> Cc: Clément Pit--Claudel <[email-masked]>, 
>> 	[email-masked]
>> 
>> >> I think the whole command should be quoted with
>> >> combine-and-quote-strings to balance the call to
>> >> split-string-and-unquote.
>> >
>> > Why not remove both of those calls?  Do you understand why they are
>> > needed in that case?
>> 
>> Well, CMD can also come from user input, so we would need some way for
>> the user to specify a list of arguments. Currently that can work by
>> entering a string that would be split by split-string-and-unquote.
>
> Why does it need to be split?  A shell command can (even should) be
> handed to the shell as a single string.

Currently it's not a shell command, because a shell isn't being used.
My other suggestion was to use a shell:

>> It might be more intuitive to actually use a shell and then the user
>> would enter a shell command (though inserting a shell into things
>> might bring more complications).