Subject: bug#25008: 26.0.50; hack-local-variables error

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 20:45:44 +0000

Hello, Mark.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 12:33:50PM -0500, Mark Oteiza wrote:

> >From -Q:

> 1. C-x b *foobar*
> 2. Insert

>   # foobar -*- conf -*-

> 3. M-: (hack-local-variables)

> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument listp conf-mode)
>   hack-local-variables-filter(conf-mode nil)
>   hack-local-variables()
>   eval((hack-local-variables) nil)
>   eval-expression((hack-local-variables) nil)
>   funcall-interactively(eval-expression (hack-local-variables) nil)
>   call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)
>   command-execute(eval-expression)

> I suspect it has to do with
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=4a80c8bb276d

> In GNU Emacs 26.0.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
>  of 2016-11-22 built on logos
> Repository revision: c542fab20f53374dd0c71dce949ef370fc76fa48

[ .... ].

Yes, correct in every respect.  :-)  In that commit you refer to, I
misunderstood an undocumented feature/bug in the handling of a bare mode
(without the string "mode:") in the first line.

I've committed a fix to this in the master branch, and I'd be grateful
if you would test it and either confirm to me it's OK, or tell me what's
still wrong.

Thanks!

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).