Subject: bug#25002: Fail to preview latex in macOS emacs

From: Ruoquan Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 20:45:45 +0800

Dear Mr./Mrs.,

Here is my proble while installing auctex+emacs. I installed auctex 
11.89 and emacs 25.1 on MacOS-Sierra as well as several other plugins of 
latex. They both work well. I can also produce pdf files normally. But I 
just cannot do preview in emacs. The .emacs file are in the attachment.

The bug report in emacs are as follows:

To: [email-masked]
Subject: 11.89; Display geometry unavailable: Wrong type argument: 
number-or-maker-p, nil
From: Steve 
<Steve@Steve's-MacBook-Pro.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>
--text follows this line--

Remember to cover the basics.  Including a minimal LaTeX example
file exhibiting the problem might help.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 
Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
  of 2016-09-21
Package: 11.89

current state:
==============
(setq
  AUCTeX-version "11.89"
  LaTeX-command-style '((""
                         "%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) 
%S%(PDFout)")
                        )
  image-types '(png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
  preview-image-type 'png
  preview-image-creators '((dvipng
                            (open preview-gs-open 
preview-dvipng-process-setup)
                            (place preview-gs-place)
                            (close preview-dvipng-close))
                           (png (open preview-gs-open) (place 
preview-gs-place)
                            (close preview-gs-close))
                           (jpeg (open preview-gs-open)
                            (place preview-gs-place) (close 
preview-gs-close))
                           (pnm (open preview-gs-open) (place 
preview-gs-place)
                            (close preview-gs-close))
                           (tiff (open preview-gs-open)
                            (place preview-gs-place) (close 
preview-gs-close))
                           )
  preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
  preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o 
\"%m/prev%%03d.png\""
  preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
  preview-gs-command "/usr/local/bin/gs"
  preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE" "-DNOPLATFONTS"
                       "-dPrinted" "-dTextAlphaBits=4" 
"-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
  preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
                                (dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
                                (jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
                                (pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
                                (tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
  preview-fast-conversion t
  preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
  preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
  preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
  preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
  preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l 
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
                          ("," . preview-required-option-list)
"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined" 
preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")
  preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
                                 (preview-preserve-counters "counters"))
  preview-preserve-counters nil
  preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics" "textmath"
                                "sections" "footnotes")
  preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
                             ("," . preview-default-option-list)
                             "]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
  preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
  preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
                              ("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\( +-\\([^ 
\\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini 
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\5")
                              )
  preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? \"\\\\input\" 
\\(.*\\)\\'"
                                 "\\1 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&"
                                 preview-format-name "\" \\2")
                                )
  preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
  preview-TeX-style-dir nil
  )

Output from running `/usr/local/bin/gs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.19 (2016-03-23)
Copyright (C) 2016 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
  -dNOPAUSE           no pause after page   | -q       `quiet', fewer 
messages
  -g<width>x<height>  page size in pixels   | -r<res>  pixels/inch 
resolution
  -sDEVICE=<devname>  select device         | -dBATCH  exit after last file
  -sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
                                          embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: bbox
Available devices:
    alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 appledmp
    atx23 atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e bj10v bj10vh
    bj200 bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono bmp16 
bmp16m
    bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet cdj1600 
cdj500
    cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono cdnj500 cfax
    chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cp50 cups declj250
    deskjet devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow dj505j djet500 djet500c dl2100 dnj650c
    epl2050 epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800 epl5900 epl6100 epl6200
    eplcolor eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc escp escpage
    faxg3 faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi gprf hl1240 hl1250 hl7x0
    hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c hpdj510
    hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c hpdj680c
    hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus hpdjportable 
ibmpro
    ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 iwhi iwlo iwlq jetp3852
    jj100 jpeg jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus laserjet lbp310
    lbp320 lbp8 lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3 lips4 lips4v
    lj250 lj3100sw lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d 
ljet4
    ljet4d ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200 lp2400 lp2500
    lp2563 lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100 lp8200c 
lp8300c
    lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c lp8900 lp9000b
    lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c lp9600 lp9600s
    lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510 mag16 mag256
    md1xMono md2k md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8
    mgrmono miff24 mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage
    oce9050 oki182 oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 
pamcmyk4 pbm
    pbmraw pcl3 pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm
    pgmraw pgnm pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl pjxl pjxl300 pkm pkmraw
    pksm pksmraw plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm plib plibc plibg plibk
    plibm png16 png16m png256 png48 pngalpha pnggray pngmono pngmonod pnm
    pnmraw ppm ppmraw pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150 pr201 ps2write psdcmyk psdcmykog
    psdrgb pwgraster pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl samsunggdi sgirgb 
sj48
    spotcmyk st800 stcolor sunhmono t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 tiff12nc
    tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4
    tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled32
    tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint xcf xes
    xpswrite
Search path:
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.19/Resource/Init :
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.19/lib :
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.19/Resource/Font :
    /usr/local/share/ghostscript/fonts :
    /usr/local/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
    /usr/local/share/fonts/default/Type1 :
    /usr/local/share/fonts/default/TrueType : /usr/lib/DPS/outline/base :
    /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 : /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType :
    /usr/share/cups/fonts
For more information, see /usr/local/share/ghostscript/9.19/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.

So could you please help me solve the problem?
Thanks!

--
Ruoquan Wang,
Department of Physics, Fudan University
P.R.of China
Tel：+86 15221926825