Subject: bug#25002: Fail to preview latex in macOS emacs

From: David Kastrup <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 08:46:25 +0100

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Ruoquan Wang <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Here is my proble while installing auctex+emacs. I installed auctex
>> 11.89 and emacs 25.1 on MacOS-Sierra as well as several other plugins
>> of latex. They both work well. I can also produce pdf files
>> normally. But I just cannot do preview in emacs.
>
> I also have this problem.
>
> Internet searching revealed that there is a correlating bug in some
> ghostscript versions.  For example, see
>
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ghostscript/+bug/543266
>
> On my Debian, I downgraded the "ghostscript" package to stable, and then
> it suddenly worked without changing anything on the Emacs side.

That's a different bug (actually several different bugs).  Ghostscript
has a history of changing its security-related behavior around, and
every time preview-latex stops working until another patch is committed
to AUCTeX.  Ghostscript 9.22 finally removed a security related feature
(the .runandhide operator) without working secure replacement.  A fix
has already been committed to upstream AUCTeX: this was comparatively
straightforward to do since preview-latex had in a previous iteration
already removed security-relevant reliance on this operator in order to
stop this game, but it had still relied on its use elsewhere.

-- 
David Kastrup